What's in a Name?

Ecstasy (n)- 2. Excessive joy; rapture; a degree of delight that arrests the whole mind; joy may rise to ecstasy. (Websters 1828 Dictionary)
Doldrums (n)- A sate of inactivity or stagnation.(Dictionary.com)

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Tales of the tuckered

Yes. The title says it all. I'm sitting here at a rather late time in the evening (or an extremely early time in the morning- you take your pick!) sipping on some chamomile tea and waiting for exhaustion to completely take over. There are a few things I've learned today: 1. Listen to your mom, even when she is being the Water Nazi,  2. Don't try to watch Jane Austen when you are packing and sick and 3. Ice cream and colds do not go together. Anyway, enough of my silly ramblings. 
In a recent sermon, my Pastor confessed that prior to children, he thought he was going to raise the perfect offspring. I laughed out loud when he admitted to this and thought to myself, no way! He didn't really expect that? I mean, there's no perfect person in existance ever, excepting Jesus. People don't really think they'll raise impecable children. Little did I know that I would make the same presumption! In May, a little bundle of joy came into my life- now before you get scared, I'll tell you that this bundle of joy came with fur and four legs. Yep, my little Nettie came to me as a complete suprise and without any preparation on my part. Immediately I set in my mind to be the perfect master and raise... well.... the perfect puppy. Haha! I assumed the same thing! These hopes and dreams were shattered not 24 hours into this adventure upon her first accident on the floor. It was like parenting a toddler! I am constantly wearied by training this cute creature, but at the same time I cannot fathom giving her up. She's taught me a great many things about myself- my sinfulness- than I ever would have found out on my own. But, that's another post for another time.
This summer has been filled with wonderful and fun things, like the baptism of three of my sisters in Christ. It is always so inspiring and strengthening to see a baptism and it makes me wonder what it was like when John the Baptist was making his debut. There is always that verse he spoke that comes to mind when at a baptism, which is completely appropriate for the occasion: speaking of Jesus he said, "He must increase, and I must decrease."
We had family camp as usual and it was a great time of refreshment, fellowship and extreme conviction (I could always dispense with that last one- just kidding!). 
I've spent time practicing my harp for a wedding, altering some dresses for another friend's wedding, 
babysitting my favorite quartet of boys and going to the beach with them and their super-cool mom!
I've loved getting to know my little nephew "Pip", who is growing cuter and cuter every day.
We were blessed to have a visit from the Johnsons and, as always, we had lots of great quality time together with lots of laughs and lots of good conversation.
I also had the privileged of helping out with SMASH's production of Love's Labour's Lost and enjoyed making new friends as they were a superb group of young adults.  

And now the chamomile has relaxed my muscles and my brain is turning to mush. My apologies for what is probably a boring blog post. I will try for a better one next time! Until then, drink your water and eat your veggies!!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

It's a very nice post and I'm just wicked glad that you posted! I was wondering if the dog could really be taking so much of your time that you couldn't post. I'll take her for you if you like. She can boss Chip around!

The same as the last commenter said...

P.S. *After looking back at blog*
My mom can be a water nazi too!:) Okay, I've written quite a bit now.