What's in a Name?

Ecstasy (n)- 2. Excessive joy; rapture; a degree of delight that arrests the whole mind; joy may rise to ecstasy. (Websters 1828 Dictionary)
Doldrums (n)- A sate of inactivity or stagnation.(Dictionary.com)

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Absence of the Pen

In my recent historical readings this summer I realized something: most of what we know today about history is due to the letters and journals of those who took part in it. The other thing I realized is that we have a lack handwritten documents in our era. Everything is done via email or blogs or facebook and rarely do we get handwritten letters in the mail. The sad thing about that is, if computers crash, we lose all of that correspondence and e-journaling that gives us glimpses into the times and the daily lives of the people in our century.  Anyway, that's just a thought I will leave you to ponder, while I also encourage you to write some sort of journal- not just for history's sake, but also for the sake of posterity!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Hmmm...maybe I should write you a letter! Good thoughts Amanda.

Amanda said...

You really should, you know! ; )