What's in a Name?

Ecstasy (n)- 2. Excessive joy; rapture; a degree of delight that arrests the whole mind; joy may rise to ecstasy. (Websters 1828 Dictionary)
Doldrums (n)- A sate of inactivity or stagnation.(Dictionary.com)

Monday, May 5, 2008

A Merry Heart

I dearly love a laugh.
~ Elizabeth Bennet
From Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

I've always loved that quote. I can't really tell you why. It's simple and there is absolutely nothing profound or earth shattering about it. It might be because I can honestly say it. I do love a laugh. I especially love the ones that bring you down to the ground on your knees because you just can't stand up anymore. The one where you shake uncontrollably and you can't get anything out vocally. I'm chuckling just thinking about it. I shared such a one with my sister the other day. We were attempting to do the twist and the jitter bug and we kept messing up or hitting things. It was so much fun and so funny that we hit the floor rolling!
Kayla has a great sense of humor. There have been so many late nights when we stayed up talking and giggling and then laughing hysterically over something that happened that day or even times past. I can be goofy, but Kayla is one of the best of the best and I feel so blessed that God allowed her to share the past 20 years of life with me. Soon, there will be no more late night talks. But that is a sad thought and I WON'T allow it!
Our pastor has been teaching from Genesis 27 the past couple of Sundays. He has been giving us lessons from the story of Jacob and Esau. One of the things that has stuck with me is about gifts. He said, "We spend our lives wishing we had someone else's gifts." That is so true of me. I'm always jealous of this person's gift of hospitality or that person's compassion or so-and-so's musical gifts. I don't want to be jealous anymore. I want to carpe diem and use my gifts to the best of my ability and to the glory of God. I wonder if laughter is a gift? If it is, then I think it is one of mine!
The doctors order: drink your water, eat your veggies and laugh as often as you can!


1 comment:

Newton said...

thank you for yet another great post! You are a very funny young lady.