What's in a Name?

Ecstasy (n)- 2. Excessive joy; rapture; a degree of delight that arrests the whole mind; joy may rise to ecstasy. (Websters 1828 Dictionary)
Doldrums (n)- A sate of inactivity or stagnation.(Dictionary.com)

Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday Musings: Tradition

In the musical The Fiddler on the Roof, the show opens with a number called "traditions." The main character, talking to the audience asks the question, "And why do we do this? Let me tell you..... I don't know." It's a question I've been asking myself, as we fly through the holiday season.

These past few months the Lord has been challenging me on a deeper level, to examine the things I do on a daily basis; to think about my habits and tendencies in light of scripture. Along with this, He's been directing me to re-evaluate the traditions of men that I take for granted and do out of pattern and often without a thought. We have become so saturated in our culture and in humanism, that our traditions are often of men and of evil origin- which not only is displeasing to our great God, but a waste of the time He has given us. I would encourage you to join me in this and do as scripture says:

Test all things; hold fast what is good.
~ 1 Thessalonians 5:21

What traditions have you been lackadaisically following that may not be honoring to the Lord or that are honoring to the Lord and you've just been ignorant of why you've done it?


1 comment:

Hannah said...

Thanks Amanda! Great food for thought.