What's in a Name?

Ecstasy (n)- 2. Excessive joy; rapture; a degree of delight that arrests the whole mind; joy may rise to ecstasy. (Websters 1828 Dictionary)
Doldrums (n)- A sate of inactivity or stagnation.(Dictionary.com)

Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Handiwork of God


At times I take God's creativity for granted. I let the amazing things He does through people just pass by without acknowledging His work in them. I was just thinking about this today. I am surrounded by people who worship God in different ways, but each of these ways is inspiring and spurs me on to ponder God.


I have a sister who can sing like a bird (and it's not just because she's a Chick!), songs that turn hearts upward. Her "special somebody," Josiah, can pick up any instrument and play it. He can also hear harmony with just about any song! (Pretty cool how God brought them together, huh?) My friend Lori has the gift of capturing the beauty of daily life through the lens of her camera. I so enjoy her pictures! Ali has a way with words- she can make you laugh about seemingly dull situations (or even bad situations!) and she can make you "think of things you never thunk before." She could write books about daily life that would make bestsellers' lists. Kelsie dances with grace and passion. You can tell she loves what she is doing by the work she puts into it and the incredible results that come out of that work! I've never seen Alissa dance, but I know she also has a zeal for it. She walks across the room elegantly and I figure, if she can do that, she can probably dance extremely well! My friend Andreas can act! Boy, can he act! He steps onto the stage and transports you back to different times and places, becoming the character that he is portraying so much, that you forget where you are! I have new friends who are gifted- Bonnie and Carol. Bonnie has a beautiful voice and also a way with words. She can yodel! It's so fascinating. I used to hold that yodelling was an odd sort of way to sing, but watching her sing improved my opinion of the style drastically! Her sister Carol has a voice that must be what the angels sounds like- it's so sweet and soothing. My little "sister" Jenna can cook! She doesn't even use measuring cups!! (I know probably all of you domesticized young ladies are chuckling at that astonishment on my part, but hey, it's unfathomable for me) She experiments with things and they almost always turn out yummy! My other little "sister" Angela can make her violin sing- I always loved playing with her (pick that thing back up girl!!). My Grampa Chick can tell a story better than Scheherezade. His life is full of stories and he relays them to us over and over, yet we never get bored of them. He keeps us on the edge of our seats and then takes our breath away-- mostly because we're laughing so hard! You can't even imagine all of the crazy things that have happened in his life!


Anyway, all of this to say that God is Awesome and enthralling! Just think, if He imparted these gifts to us and we were created in His image, then He must also embody, so to speak, these art forms. Look around and see the landscapes all over the earth, not a single one looks exactly the same. And people. People are also beautiful works of art, sculpted and created by the Master Craftsman.

The heavens declare the glory of God;

And the firmament shows His handiwork.

~Psalm 19:1

No comments: