What's in a Name?

Ecstasy (n)- 2. Excessive joy; rapture; a degree of delight that arrests the whole mind; joy may rise to ecstasy. (Websters 1828 Dictionary)
Doldrums (n)- A sate of inactivity or stagnation.(Dictionary.com)

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Random Ramblings...

Playing our favorite game (catch phrase) at the Denny's after church.
Yes, Christians can have fun!

Life is pretty normal right now- if there is even such a thing! At times I love it and at other times I just want to cry out "maranatha!" But God is good, so what else do I need? I need to meditate on that thought. And on the cross of Christ and the many blessings He has lavished on me, though I definitely don't deserve it. Thank God for grace!


I've been listening to a sermon series by Nancy Leigh DeMoss on The Attitude of Gratitude. It is so convicting! I've realized just how unthankful I am. With so much to be grateful for, how dare I complain? So, I'm striving to be more thankful- both in heart and verbally. I need to speak my thanks to the Lord and to others outloud more often than I do. Please pray for me!


One of the things I am thankful for is a loving, welcoming and noble church family. I love spending time with them and am always encouraged after a day spent with them. It's neat how a body of believers can build each other up so! I was just reading in my Bible this morning in Romans 12. Toward the middle of this chapter, Paul describes how each follower of Christ can use his gifts to the glory of God and the strengthening of the church. It's great! He encourages believers to be diligent about using their gifts.


For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

Romans 12:4-8


What gifts do I have that I could use to build up my church and other beleivers around me? Something to think about!

2 comments:

BonnieJ said...

Hey! Great post. As for gifts, even sweeping the floor can be a gift to someone. It might not be one of "THE" gifts, but it definitely is a way to build up those around you! Our friends that we're with in Texas are such servants, it's amazing. It's neat to see how many ways you can be a blessing to others.

Amanda said...

Thanks for the encouragement and insight Bonnie! It's so true. There's a "donut man" song something to that idea:
"If you want to be great in the Kingdom, you must learn to be the servant of all." Servanthood is such a body building thing!